License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Sunday, January 29, 2017

Impressions, by Martin Wells Knapp, 33

In a previous excerpt, Knapp stated that there are four features of "impressions" from God. These are Scriptural; Right (consistent with good morals); Providential (in harmony with God's will); and Reasonable. His discussion continues:

4. Inspired Aspirations. There is a heaven-born aspiration in the heart of every truly converted person to be divinely led.

Without such leading there is a deep sense of inability to solve life's problems and meet its perplexities.

All other human needs are met and satisfied in Jesus, and this one is no exception.

For guilt there is provided pardon.
For pollution, purity.
For weakness, power.
For spiritual hunger, the Bread of Life.
For spiritual thirst, the Water of Life.
For spiritual sickness, a great Physician.
For spiritual poverty, an eternal inheritance.
For spiritual guidance, divine wisdom.

God creates the desire to receive this wisdom because He has made provision to give it, and the very fact that He inspires it is a token that He has it to give. God does not create desires in men to mock them with fruitless longings, but because He loves to supply their every need, and has planned so to do. This reason, combined with those before mentioned, shows conclusively our privilege in all things to avail ourselves of the services of a mighty Counselor. His unerring eye will lead us in the way that we should go. With Him enthroned within, neither poverty nor distance need keep us from His counsels, nor from knowing and doing His will.

In the light of the four-fold testimony given there remains not a shadow of doubt as to God's ability and willingness to lead all who will follow His instructions. Glorious privilege! The conditions upon which it may be realized are simple, plain and important, and will be noticed further on.

"He leadeth me! oh! blessed thought,
Oh! words with heav'nly comfort fraught;
Whate'er I do, where'er I be,
Still 'tis God's hand that leadeth me.

He leadeth me! He leadeth me!
By His own hand He leadeth me;
His faithful follower I would be,
For by His hand He leadeth me.

"Sometimes 'mid scenes of deepest gloom,
Sometimes where Eden's bowers bloom,
By waters still, o'er troubled sea, --
Still 'tis His hand that leadeth me.

"Lord, I would clasp Thy hand in mine,
Nor ever murmur nor repine --
Content, whatever lot I see,
Since 'tis my God that leadeth me.

"And when my task on earth is done,
When, by Thy grace the victory's won,
E'en death's cold wave I will not flee,
Since God through Jordan leadeth me."


Excerpted from Impressions, by Martin Wells Knapp. Original publication date, 1892. Public domain. My source is here. The previous post in the series is here.

No comments: