License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Friday, July 06, 2012

The Higgs boson -- what it is, etc.

I'm not a nuclear physicist, but this week's landmark discovery (apparently) of the Higgs boson deserves some mention by me. So does the work of the many scientists and other workers who made this event possible.

Here's an article by Reuters, explaining what the Higgs boson/field is all about. Here's another article from Reuters, about the announcement of the discovery. Here's an article from the Christian Science Monitor, including a photo of Peter Higgs, and a 3 minute 27 video explaining the particle/field. And, of course, there's a Wikipedia article.

Physicists cannot explain why there is a universe at all, or why it has the properties we have found. There is nothing in this discovery that eliminates or rules out the activity of God. As Colossians 1 puts it, "in him all things hold together." ("Him" is Christ.)

Thanks for reading. It's more than the Higgs field that holds the universe (and you and me) together.

4 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Thanks for posting this.

God is so much more than a particle.

BTW, I surely do wish I had your email address so I could reply to the fun comments you leave on my blog. If you'd reply to this comment via email I would promise to be a good caregiver to yr email addy.

Martin LaBar said...

Thanks. I sent it.

Anonymous said...


Keep stuff like this coming.

Martin LaBar said...

Thanks, Anonymous. I hope that your comment wasn't spam.