License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Grace, teacher

Titus 2:11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation to all men,12 instructing us to the intent that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we would live soberly, righteously, and godly in this present world; (World English Bible, public domain).

I was reading this passage in the New International Version, in preparation for my Sunday School class, when it hit me that, according to this passage, Grace is not simply some mushy goody stuff, but is also a teacher! I checked several other translations, and found that, except for the NLT, they read as if Grace, itself, teaches us.

I shouldn't have been surprised by this. For one thing, I had often sung:

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
And grace my fears reliev'd;
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believ'd! John Newton, Amazing Grace (public domain).

So, Grace, God's gift to us through Christ, is a teacher.

Thanks for reading!

No comments: