License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Sorry -- You have to enter strange letter sequences when commenting

I have had word verification (where a commenter has to enter a more or less random sequence of letters in order to comment) turned off for a month or more. I have decided that I need to turn it back on. Sorry about that, those of you who comment.

I hate to do anything to discourage comments, and word verification does that, but I also hate to deal with "nice site" and other apparently meaningless comments from anonymous users, or spam -- that is, advertisements for products or other web sites.

Please keep reading, and commenting.

7 comments:

Keetha Broyles said...

Oh goodness - - - I'm sorry spammers got through. I haven't had a single one since Blogger put on their spam protection.

Well - - - I did have ONE that was obviously written by a real live person sitting at a real live computer (live computer?) but that would have gotten through even with the word veri.

Martin LaBar said...

Thanks for typing in whatever you did, Keetha.

Weekend Fisher said...

Hm, I was considering turning off some of my anti-spam protection. I'll resist the urge ...

Take care & God bless
Anne / WF

"reldne" -- I'll need to type "reldne".

(Btw I've seen sites that are crowd-sourcing imagine-to-text translations to let hackers get past captchas ... wonder what's next?)

Weekend Fisher said...

* Er, "image-to-text", obviously ...

Martin LaBar said...

It might have worked for you, Weekend Fisher, but I was getting some Anonymous comments that were inane, (nice site, etc.) rather than advertisements for some site or other, and it took some time to delete them.

atlibertytosay said...

I turned it off last week and think I need to turn it back on too ... I'm getting around 30 "ad posts" a day that I have to mark as spam.

I think it does take a few weeks to "train it" though ... so i'm going to stick it out for a bit longer.

Martin LaBar said...

That was my problem. You have more traffic than I do, by far, but it was still an aggravation.

Thanks for the comment.