License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Sunday, May 03, 2009

No Old Navy or Shoe Carnival.

Deuteronomy 29:5 I have led you forty years in the wilderness. Your clothes have not worn out on you, and your sandals have not worn off your feet. (ESV)

Not only could they not go get new clothes and shoes, but they didn't have to. Could I live like that? I don't know. I get tired of some of my garments, and my wife gets tired of some of them before I do. (They also wear out, or don't fit any more.)

God clearly performed many miracles during the trek through the desert by the Israelites. I recently referred to one of them, namely a long fast by Moses.

God can supply our need! Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

an amazing testimony to God's provision and what that actually looks like. Good stuff.

FancyHorse said...

Yes, I was amazed when I realized that that was in the Bible. I wonder if the Israelites knew it at the time, or if they just took it for granted? I imagine at least some of them realized it (probably the women!)

Martin LaBar said...

Thank you both.

The Israelites must have recognized this, because in Joshua 9, the Gibeonites wore old clothes and sandals, and the Israelites were fooled, by that, and other deceptions, into thinking that they lived a long way away. Probably the women recognized it first.

They would still have had to furnish clothes and sandals for their children. Perhaps most or all of them wore hand-me-downs.