License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Saturday, May 09, 2009

The Appeal, by John Grisham

I recently read The Appeal, by John Grisham. (See the first link in the previous sentence for the Wikipedia article on the book, which gives you the plot.)

The main things I wish to muse about are these:
There are good, Christian, lawyers in the world, according to Grisham. There are also people who claim to be Christian, but whose actions in the real world are almost completely separate from their church life, and from radical Christianity. Some of them are lawyers, too, according to Grisham. I'm sure that he's right about that, and not only about lawyers.

Capitalism gone to extremes can bring about terrible evils, and, all too often, get away with them.

I know, the book is fiction, and Grisham, himself, points that out at the end. But I'm afraid that there is all too much truth in his fiction.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whether there is too much truth in Mr. Grisham's fiction, I can't even speculate. But the message is clear, I believe, that Tort "Reform" is contrary to the interests of the American People. Bravo John Grisham for a great, thought-provoking and important work of fiction.

Martin LaBar said...

Thanks, Anonymous. I'm sorry, but I don't know enough about tort reform to say more here.