License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

A. A. Milne writes about a little boy growing up

. . . Pooh!"
"Yes, Christopher Robin?"
"I'm not going to do Nothing any more."
"Never again?"
"Well, not so much. They don't let you."
-A. A. Milne, The World of Pooh, New York: Dutton, 1957, p. 312. Originally in The House at Pooh Corner, 1928, Chapter 10, "In Which Christopher Robin and Pooh Come to an Enchanted Place, and We Leave Them There." (Public Domain)

Christopher Robin is going.
At least I think he is.
Where?
Nobody knows.
But he is going --
I mean he goes
(to rhyme with "knows")
Do we care?
(to rhyme with "where")
We do
Very much.
(I haven't got a rhyme for that "is" in the second line yet. Bother.)
(Now I haven't got a rhyme for bother. Bother.)
Those two bothers will have to rhyme with each other Buther.
The fact is this is more difficult than I thought,
I ought --
(Very good indeed)
I ought
To begin again,
But it is easier
To stop.
Christopher Robin, good-bye,
I
(Good)
I
And all your friends
Sends --
I mean all you friend
Send --
(Very awkward this, it keeps going wrong)
Well, anyhow, we send
Our love
END.
A. A. Milne, The Complete Tales & Poems of Winnie-the-Pooh, pp. 329-330. (New York: Dutton, 2001) Originally in The House at Pooh Corner, 1928, Chapter 10, "In Which Christopher Robin and Pooh Come to an Enchanted Place, and We Leave Them There." Public Domain. See here for more on Winnie-the-Pooh.

God bless all little boys (and girls) as they grow up.

Thanks for reading!

No comments: