License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Sunday, August 26, 2007

A Charge to Keep I Have, by Charles Wesley

This year is the 300th anniversary of Charles Wesley's birth.

Here is a hymn, which I have heard sung, sometimes at a ministerial ordination service, from over 100 by Wesley, posted by the Cyberhymnal:

A charge to keep I have,
A God to glorify,
A never-dying soul to save,
And fit it for the sky.

To serve the present age,
My calling to fulfill:
O may it all my powers engage
To do my Master’s will!

Arm me with jealous care,
As in Thy sight to live;
And O Thy servant, Lord, prepare
A strict account to give!

Help me to watch and pray,
And on Thyself rely,
Assured, if I my trust betray,
I shall for ever die.

(1762, hence public domain. My source is here. That source says that the hymn was based on Matthew Henry's commentary on Leviticus.) Thanks for reading!

No comments: