License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Ben Witherington on Barack Obama

Ben Witherington, a conservative Christian scholar (see also here) has, says his web page, ". . . been seen on the History Channel, NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, The Discovery Channel, A&E, and the PAX Network."

Witherington has weighed in on the claims that Barack Obama, Democratic candidate for President, is a closet Muslim, with the implication that he may even be a terrorist, I guess. (If you are interested in seeing the charges raised against Obama, see my previous post.)

Basically, he says that Obama should be given the benefit of the doubt, and thinks that some right-wing and/or Christian organizations have been on a witch-hunt over this. Those of us who claim the name of Christ should be ashamed of such behavior. His blog post (see first link in the previous paragraph) indicates that Witherington has been on the Fox TV network, too.

Witherington has more to say, all good, as far as I am concerned, and he responds to a number of comments.

I didn't intend to get back into politics so soon, but a commenter guided me to Witherington's post, and I changed my mind.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a little misleading to call Witherington a conservative. He's politically moderate to liberal on many issues, and he's really only moderately conservative when it comes to his views in biblical studies, rejecting traditional views on quite a few issues, even if most of them aren't central issues. He's one case where the traditional labels sort of break down. On certain issues conservatives might see him as a stalwart defender of traditional views, but on other issues he's really cut out a new course or gone along with the mainstream rejection of conservative views.

Martin LaBar said...

Thanks, Jeremy. You know more about him than I do. Also, I didn't define conservative. It has many meanings, and it is seldom defined by those who use it, in this case including me.

From what little I know, it seems Witherington is an intelligent person who takes the Bible and the claims of Christ seriously.

Thanks again for reading, and commenting.