License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Sunspots 63


Things I have recently spotted that may be of interest to someone else:

Alan Jacobs, C. S. Lewis scholar, has a great piece in Books and Culture on how blogs, by their very structure, do not and cannot lead to serious conversations about issues. I've been wondering more and more about the importance of this blog, and his article points toward it having even less than I thought . . .

A review of a Christian science fiction book that I haven't seen. (I found the post through the Christian Carnival.)

From New Scientist:
>A man in a minimally conscious state for almost two decades has recovered consciousness, due to growth of new neural pathways, and, apparently, even growth of new neurons.
>Unfertilized human eggs have been made to produce embryonic stem cells, therefore, perhaps, eliminating ethical and religious objections to obtaining such cells from human embryos.
>A study indicates that as many as 10 species of birds are becoming extinct every year.
>Desert ants have a mechanism, as yet undetermined, for keeping track of how many steps they have taken away from home.

This week's Christian Carnival is here. (For information on locating these Carnivals, see here)

When I don't tell where I found an item above, I either found it directly, or was probably pointed to it by the Librarian's Internet Index, SciTech Daily, or Arts and Letters Daily. All of these sources are great.

Thanks for reading! Keep clicking away.

Image source (public domain)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think Jacobs is partly right, but he discounts all the things which blogs ARE good for.

I think your blog is important!

Anonymous said...

Martin, your blog is important. Its value goes beyond what Jacobs is stating. I agree with him that it is very difficult to foster truly beneficial discussion on a blog, but I also feel I've experienced quite a bit of it via blogging, and that's one of the reasons I stay involved in the blogosphere.

I may comment myself on Jacobs' article, thanks much for the link.

Martin LaBar said...

Thanks, Elliot and Bonnie. I don't usually get comments at all, let alone on a "Sunspots."

Jacobs is on to something, but there is, as you say, value to blogs in spite of the fact that they tend to be monologues, rather than conversations, and fleeting, rather than enduring.