License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Saturday, February 11, 2006

What do you want to do before you die?

Genesis 45:25 So they went up out of Egypt and came to the land of Canaan to their father Jacob. 26 And they told him, “Joseph is still alive, and he is ruler over all the land of Egypt.” And his heart became numb, for he did not believe them. 27 But when they told him all the words of Joseph, which he had said to them, and when he saw the wagons that Joseph had sent to carry him, the spirit of their father Jacob revived. 28 And Israel said, “It is enough; Joseph my son is still alive. I will go and see him before I die.” (ESV)

One of my son-in-laws has a book about places you should see before you die. It's a good book, and I'm being influenced by it. But there are larger questions than where we want to go on a trip.

We don't know what Jacob wanted to do before his death prior to receiving this news. But we know what it was after the news. He wanted to see his long-missing son, whom he thought dead, even if it meant going on a long trip and leaving what he had known behind him. And he went. Going, of course, was part of God's plan for Jacob and his descendants.

So, what do you want to do before you die? What do I? Do I have desires for my descendants? Things I want to do for God's glory?

I'm going to think about it. It may not be too long, in my case, or yours.

Thanks for reading. This is one of an occasional series, based on my daily reading from the ESV Bible. The last one of these is here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My main goal has become to enable my son to learn to communicate and to perform as many self-care tasks independently as possible.
I want him to be able to live in a home, rather than an institution, when we are gone.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I ended up on your web page by accident, and found your very cute grandson and your life story. That was a great family gift. I wish my parents would do that.