License

I have written an e-book, Does the Bible Really Say That?, which is free to anyone. To download that book, in several formats, go here.
Creative Commons License
The posts in this blog are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License. You can copy and use this material, as long as you aren't making money from it. If you give me credit, thanks. If not, OK.

Monday, June 06, 2005

Things I'm thankful for, 2

One thing I left out of the previous post on this topic is e-mail. I also took a lot for granted when I was thankful for Internet entities. I didn't mention electricity, insulators, conductors, semiconductors and chips, plastic, computers, phone lines, and the Internet itself. Nor did I list Copper, Silicon, Germanium, Gallium, and whatever other elements are used in making these things. Nor operating systems, device drivers, programming languages, HTML and its relatives, communication protocols, firewalls, modems and routers, browsers, FTP and other application programs, and the people who invented all of them, and who upgrade them. Nor anti-virus, anti-spam, and anti-spyware programs. My point was that we should be grateful for lots of things that most of us take for granted, and I illustrated my own point. I'll probably illustrate it again in this post.

How about some inventions and conveniences?
Paper, printing, photography, photocopying, binding, libraries, publishers, authors, illustrators, editors, printers, bookstores, and books
Translators and bible scholars
Ball point pens
Toilet paper, paper towels and napkins
Plates, bowls, cups and glasses, knives, forks and spoons, both permanent and disposable
Soap and detergents
Snail mail and package delivery, and the people who do it
Radio, especially NPR
Music, musical lnstruments, recording, lasers, speakers, CDs, records, tapes, and players
Windows--the kind you can see through
Electricity
Cable TV systems, and telephones that usually work, plus repair persons
TV stations and networks, at least some of the time

For all these things, I am thankful. Who to?
Well, to the creator, who made the original materials and also gave people the skills to do things with them. I take it that creativity is part of the "image of God" in humans.
To the people who had the ideas for these things, and those who carried them to completion.
For those who implement the ideas.

I'll probably do this again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank the Lord for toliet paper! :)
Amen to that.